________________________________________________________

________________________________________________________

Monday, February 9, 2015

A Mis-Identified Longing

"It's an old and ironic habit of human beings to run faster when we have lost our way. " -Rollo May

I ran across this quote the other day and it really struck a chord with me. Too often, I feel far from God, my soul cries out for Him and I mis-identify this need with lacking something in the physical world around me. 

Have you ever mis-identified a longing? 

Sometimes I think I need more time for myself (which is sometimes true) other times I think I need to buy that cute new sweater or decorative pillow, sometimes I take out my dissatisfaction with life on my husband, prodding and dropping hurtful words like metal bolts on the thin glass he is standing on- almost in amusement. Just to see if the glass will break beneath him. 

I admit to these ugly tendencies. A desire, a longing that is natural and good, turned sour by trying to satisfy it on my own or through something else.  

Mostly, it is only a mis-identification. But in turn, it does not satisfy me and so I break out into a dead run, looking frantically everywhere for something else that might fill that little void in me. I have lost my way, and I am running faster again.

Juxtaposed against this hurried life, is the overwhelming peace that I find, when I come to The Lord. When I shut everything else out, all the noise, all the opinions, all the negativity.

When I simply come to Him. 

It is there my heart finds peace and great contentment. In the words of scripture. In an honest prayer.

"Be still, and know that I am God." -Psalm 46:10

May you find the courage to choose to slow down, when you feel like breaking into a run. And may you find that kind of peace, that surpasses all understanding.



No comments:

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS