________________________________________________________

________________________________________________________

Monday, January 14, 2013

Why don't we just commit already?

I just learned what "planned obsolescence" means. 

It means: in industrial design is a policy of planning or designing a product with a limited useful life, so it will become obsolete, that is, unfashionable or no longer functional after a certain period of time.

I learned this terminology from a great book we have been reading called:

 

Even though I have not known this term, I think we all know its consequences. As apple users we intentionally hold out for the next new product, with the better features. We also know that within so many months or a few short years that the product we buy will become obsolete. It has a 'limited useful life".

How does this mindset translate into our lives? We would all like to think it is exclusive to the products we buy. But after awhile, we begin to think of our lives this way. We consider the relationships around us as such. "I'm not going to commit to this person, because surely someone better is coming along."

I'm not going to get involved in my community or my church too much, because a better job opportunity is surely on the horizon and I don't want to commit myself and potentially get hurt or hurt others. I'm probably moving on soon.

The funny thing is that I've seen this happen time and time again with our generation, and still there are people who have been here for years now. Every year they declare this mantra. But. They are still here. And life continues to happen.

Their minds and hearts are living in the "in-between". It's no wonder they are searching for meaning, for a deeper sense of self and God. How can we reach them in the "in-between"? When they are physically here, but their hearts are unreachable? Are you living there too?


No comments:

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS