________________________________________________________

________________________________________________________

Thursday, April 19, 2012

KONY 2012---why the hatred?

We have been following Invisible Children's work now for awhile and the recent media uproar both gets me excited and disgruntled. I find it very alarming that anytime anything gets put in the lime light through popular interest people attack it viciously. This is not a new thing. It seems that we have been doing this for as long as I can remember now.

I think about politics. Wow. Everyone supports the presidential candidate and then as soon as he is elected, he is scrutinized and hated (as well as before he is elected). I am not always in the favor of the president's views, opinions and policies either, but what happened to a certain amount of respect for one of our own?

I think about celebs. Everyone loved Justin Bieber and sent him on a unprecedented rise to the top and now he is loathed by many and has even become an embarrassment, my hairstylist commenting on how she tries not to give the "Bieber" cut to her guy clients. (Though I agree Michelle!) There are so many anti-Bieber websites and movements.

What is with this hateful backlash? It makes me feel like I should join in on the bashing or be mocked and ridiculed myself. It is a "grown-up" form of bullying.

I think about the recent popularity of the KONY 2012 film campaign. Whose view count this morning was over 87 million.  This thing has totally blown up world wide. Before it got this huge my husband had signed a contract with them to bring their film to a local brewery (The Livery) here in town. The people we have dealt with are all about our age (20's) and volunteer to make this happen at venues and schools and churches and organizations all over the country and have been for several years.

Most likely one or two of them will be sleeping on our couch while here. This is why I love their mission. It is literally so close to home. They are bringing advocacy to this issue of justice to the inside of our four walls and our hearts. I am glad they got really "popular".

I'm not going to pretend like they aren't cool anymore. Or that their mission and strategy is flawed to a serious fault. Or even that I have a better idea of how we could resolve saving these innocent children from the world's top international criminal. Because even if I do have a better idea (and trust me I have opinions), am I doing any of them right now? Nope.

They are taking this from "the land of talk, to the land of do". I stand by them in this.




1 comment:

Chris said...

Right on Katie...right on. It's so easy for people in our culture to sit around and talk about a better way to do something. To talk about how flawed the current movements are and then go back to eating our doughnuts and Facebook stalking. At least Koney 2012 is doing something.

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS