________________________________________________________

________________________________________________________

Monday, November 7, 2011

Because I LOVE the crockpot.

I am going to share a couple of my go-to crockpot recipes that are super easy and delicious.

Crockpot Roast
(per my mother the barefoot contessa of the family):



5-6 potatoes peeled and cut up into 2 inch cubes.
(If really low on time, they have pre-peeled potatoes in a can! I know, I know, but they taste pretty good.)

1 bag of baby carrots
1 medium to large onion sliced in rings
1 or two cans of beef broth
Roast (chuck, shoulder any kind will do, I usually opt for the smaller ones and put more carrots in ours)
Spices: salt, pepper, paprika, oregano or whatever you want to experiment with...

Layer: carrots first, potatoes, then the roast with the onion rings.
Pour beef broth over all.
Sprinkle the roast and onions with salt, pepper, and spices.
Cook on low for 8 hrs. or high for 6 hrs. or until the meat is very tender and falls apart.

Don't forget to make some biscuits to go with it! This is such a simple, but delicious meal and makes the house smell like heaven. Men also love it. Make it for the hubby. :)

*Also, you can add a few TBS. of flour or cornstarch when it is almost done to thicken up the yummy juices and make more of a gravy.

* I usually assemble the night before and put the whole crockpot (ceramic part) in the fridge, so that when I get up in the morning or late morning early afternoon, I can just put the crock right in the pot and turn it on.....so easy.

* Another tip that I just learned is to buy in bulk these ingredients and fill gallon freezer bags, freeze flat in the freezer and label. The next time you need to make a roast, just go to the freezer pull one out and it's ready to be put in just like that. You may need to defrost enough to get it out of the bag and then put it in there! Make an event of it with several different crockpot meals waiting to be cooked in your freezer.

2 comments:

Katrina said...

If you find a bucket (like from ice cream or the movie theater) that is just a bit smaller than your crock pot, you can use it to freeze your meals in the right shape! Either use a freezer bag to line the bucket or find another way to seal it well to prevent freezer burn.

Katie D. said...

Wow Katrina! That is a great idea. So creative! I've heard you are the freezer meal expert. I would love to learn more!

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS