________________________________________________________

________________________________________________________

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Calvin 20 Months

I wanted to document all these new words that Calvin has been saying before it's too late and I forget. He is now 20 months. He is becoming more and more of a little boy every day. Sometimes I go to get him up from his nap and I promise he looks bigger than before he went to bed. I have noticed that his hands seem bigger especially, and other people have told me he looks taller too.

Things that feel different at home: He can focus on certain things for longer periods of time. So it feels like he is his own person a lot more. If that makes sense? For example, on some good nights, I can be making dinner and he can sit at his little computer game or look at books in his room for several minutes without interrupting me. Maybe 10-15 minutes tops, but that is very different from before.

He will try to say a lot more words, if you preface it with, "Can you say...?" He can say and understand what hat means, hot, please, honey(thanks to Pooh), go, eyore (as of last night), I love you (sort of), bubbles, papa (for Dan's Dad), and tigger.That's in addition to the words he already knows.

He is also throwing more fits and having struggles of the will with me. I have been using time-out, which seems like he's really young, but surprisingly he kind of gets it I think. I sit him on the bed and say time out and turn around with back to him, not saying anything for awhile. At first he would try to crawl away immediately or play with something, or try to talk to me, but now he sits there quietly until I turn around. I'm not sure if he's really connecting his behaviors to the consequence yet, but I'm sure that will come. And eventually I'll be able to use a timer and not stand there. But overall it is working I think. I really need to read some more material on toddler behavior management. I'm not sure what to do about his little tantrums where he throws himself on the floor and kicks, or kicks while changing his diaper now. I just stand there and wait for him to finish. I wonder if any other moms have ideas for that one?

I am feeling a little better lately and I'm trying to be a more interactive mom with him, rather than lounge around and watch him play all day. But it is tempting some days when I am so tired. Overall, it has been fun to watch him start to say more things and become his own little person.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention what his new favorite word is..."No." with a scowl on his face. It's actually kind of cute right now, but I'm sure that it won't be for long!

No comments:

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS