________________________________________________________

________________________________________________________

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Baby's Here! Welcome Calvin James Deitrich!!!!!!!!










































































































































Well the moment we've been waiting for has finally arrived! Sunday March 22, 2009 our baby son Calvin James Deitrich entered the world! He was breech and we had to do a C-section around 4:00 in the afternoon. My water broke at 4am the night before and so Dan and I hurriedly drove to the hospital, only to wait for another 11 hours of early labor. After about the eleventh hour the Doc noticed that my contractions were stalling and I wasn't making any progress, so he examined me and felt for the baby. When he did, he thought he felt his face, which I guess is not a good position for the baby to be in either. He ordered an ultrasound and lo and behold what he was feeling were actually his feet! Calvin was trying to come out feet first! His bottom was on my left side and his head on my right so he was sort of sideways. Little did I know at the time that that meant I had to have him by C-section. I was still optimistic about giving birth vaginally but that was not the case! It turns out it was the best for his safety and mine. I guess it would not be fun to push a baby out feet first. That's what they tell me anyway :)

So within an hour I had been scrubbed up and given a spinal anesthetic and was all ready to go. I have to admit I was a little scared especially because Dan wasn't there in the room with me until a bit later when they delivered him. I have never experienced anything like that surgery. I could feel tugging and pulling and pressure but no real pain. I couldn't see anything because of the big blue curtain in front of me, but I listened as the doctor's chatted away about their kids making honor roll and doing well in home ec class. It was surreal. Finally Dan joined me all scrubbed up himself, and within minutes Calvin was born! Dan peeked around the curtain to watch that part. First I heard, "Oh there's the feet!" and then the doctor mumbled something about his scrotum being enlarged or something (which was strange) and then for the first time I heard his beautiful little cry! I looked at Dan and suddenly the adrenaline and the tears came. My son! All I could see was the nurse cleaning him up to the right side of me and they said something about a birthmark and his head being smashed from the position he was in. That scared me, but I was so overwhelmed with emotion that it all seems a blur now. She brought him to Dan and Dan sat beside me holding him so I could see him. And just like that he was swept away and I was left alone again in the operating room while they sewed me back up.

About an hour later I got to hold me sweet baby in my arms for the first time. There is definitely nothing like that moment in my life. It is such a miracle. God is truly an amazing creator, that my son was inside of me growing and developing into a perfect little boy. I feel that I understand a lot more about the world already -being a mommy. He weighed 6lbs. 13.5 oz and was 20 inches long. He had quite a bit of hair too! He has a little birthmark on his forehead with a little patch of dark hair on it. The doctor said that it should be in his hair line, but we could have it removed if we want to. He is precious nonetheless. A perfect little bundle of love!

We stayed in the hospital for three days, and they were probably the longest three day of my life! I was soooo exhausted. The c-section really is painful afterwards. We also had a lot of visitors and nurses coming in all the time. They stuck me with all the student nurses, so I had to get checked twice every time by two different nurses, the student and the official nurse. Can anybody get any sleep in these hospitals?! We really enjoyed seeing everyone though. My Dad was able to make it out of the blue because of a show he was playing in Chicago and so he was only two hours away when we were admitted to the hospital. I'll always remember those moments of "first meetings" with Calvin and our loved ones.

Finally it was time to go home! We almost had to stay another couple of days because of Calvin having jaundice, but it turned out to be fine. Leaving the hospital was another emotional moment for me. There I was sitting in the wheelchair holding him and looking out the front doors waiting for Dan to pull the car around and suddenly I was overwhelmed with emotion again. This would be his first time out into the real world and his life would never be the same. I began to think about all the trials he might face in his life along with all the joys and how I didn't want him to ever have to feel pain or dissapointment or hardships. And then I thought about all the joyful moments we would someday have together. It was like I was watching a movie play out in my head and it all began with us entering into that cool March afternoon. The whoosh of the doors blew a breeze through my hair and Calvin squirmed as he felt the cool fresh air against his skin. Life would never be the same!!!

No comments:

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS